Sunday, February 5, 2012

following sunshine


following sunshine
wild geese migrate as the Earth
tilts on its axis

Rain followed by delicate crystals, the first snowpack of the season. Any kind of moisture is welcome in this dry winter following a dry summer. More flocks of Canada geese flying low at sunset, looking for a pond for the night. A cluster of geese detaches from a ragged formation to join a group of fellow travelers standing on the ice, swimming in the open water, or sleeping on the snowy bank with their heads tucked into their backs. At the same time, a few pairs take off to join the flocks flying on, driven by the urge to follow the light as the northern hemisphere leans back towards the Sun.
          At the contra dance Saturday night, I meet Davie, a young man with a new face, long brown hair, brown overalls and a dragon tattoo on his forearm. He's a good dancer, into spinning the ladies and willing to dance the ladies' part. He also turns out to be a good caller, introducing several advanced dances. At the break I ask him where he lives. 
          "In my truck," Davie says with a grin. 
          "Just passing through?"
          "I'm visiting my parents for the winter. I grew up here. Now I'm a migrant farm worker. When the weather warms up, I'll head out to California, stay with my brother." He pauses, then adds, "Maybe I should go to Bimini."
          "Ah, yes, the Mother of Many Waters. I've never been to the Bahamas. Must be nice to be free to go wherever you want, whenever you want."
          "It's nice to have a home, too," Davie replies.
          "Nice to have two homes," I say, and we both smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment