Thursday, April 19, 2012

a round wicker basket


a round wicker basket
just big enough for two
to take a cat nap

     "May I help you?" the lady behind the Hy-Vee pharmacy counter asks.
     "Yes, I'd like to pick up prescriptions for Ginger and Pepper, last name, Connet."
     "Oh! Ginger and Pepper? Those are unusual names. Is someone in the family a cook?"
     "Actually, we named the twins that way because Ginger is ginger colored and Pepper is pepper colored."
     The pharmacist is giving me a funny look.
     "They're cats," I explain.
     "Oh!" she says. "Then those aren't such unusual names."
     "I actually know a pair of human twins named Sugar and Spice." I look pointedly at her name tag, which says COOKIE. "Is someone in your family a cook?"
     "Oh! That's my nickname, 'cause I love to cook. And I especially like to bake cookies."
     "Maybe I should send Sugar and Spice over to sample your cookies!"
     Cookie laughs as she goes off to fill the prescriptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment