Monday, May 28, 2012

Peonies after Rain

                                                                                
Hundreds of red and white flags border the square.
The bandstand erupts with echoes
of distant battle—
polished brass, steel,
stretched skin.

The cemetery sign says One Way, Do Not Enter.
But I am not driving through
like the faces behind glass on Memorial Day,
leaving red and white flags, plastic placards,
amputated flowers to dress up stones.

I am not bringing dead flowers
to remember the dead.
I do not want to remember
what’s left of you
in the black plastic bag.

The rain waited patiently until
the once-a-year folks drove away.
The peonies I planted have fallen in a circle,
white faces pressed against the grass,
shattered petals like shards of bone.

I found the skull of a deer in our woods,
fallen this side of the No Hunting sign
where the hunter did not track
the trail of blood, a clot of red
mushrooms erupting from the empty eye socket.

Walking the trail you bushwhacked,
I learned to see the world through your eyes.
Once, you stopped, looked up at the moon
and laughed. That’s when I saw the white rabbit
nibbling a moonflower.

A year ago I sprawled across squares of sod,
watching ants crawl all over
white peony globes. The buds refuse to open,
you said, until the ants lick off the sap
binding the petals.

A year has knit the broken ground.
Now a globe of white light rises
from the scattered petals.
I want see the moon
through your luminous eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment