Friday, December 14, 2012

a line of wild geese


a line of wild geese 
streaming away from the pink
and orange-gold sunset

Everything's a bit out of whack these days. Maybe it's the perfect lineup of the Sun and Moon. For sure, that's causing king tides in California, but there's also been an earthquake off the coast. Unseasonable weather is confusing plants and animals as well as people. Canada geese have been migrating later, just a couple of weeks before winter solstice.
          I'm driving into town on our rural road, gawking at the flourescent pink and orange and gold clouds lit by the last rays of the sun, when I spy a long line of wild geese flying away from the sunset. Instead of the classic V, they're almost all lined up like train cars, except for one branch of a half dozen birds off to the left, forming an elongated Y. Usually, I'm too slow to catch them with a photograph. But this time my camera is sitting on the seat next to me. There's no place to pull over, not even a small shoulder on this country road, so I just stop in the middle of the pavement, hoping no one else is behind me. Quickly I roll down the window, zoom and focus, and manage a couple of clear shots. Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment