Sunday, June 2, 2013

next wave of wildflowers









next wave of wildflowers --
spiderwort, phlox, blue-eyed grass,
blackberry's white blossoms

The next wave of spring flowers are in bloom. Spots of color in this oh-so-green-spring panorama catches my eye, and when I look closer, I'm intrigued by nature's love of numbers. Congregations of bluish-purple spiderwort, each with three petals. Tall lavender-pink phlox with clusters of four-petaled flowers. Blue-eyed grass with six petals, each ending in a tiny point. And the white blossoms, each with five petals, on the curving stems of wild blackberry. The blackberries bristle with thorns to discourage browsing critters, but come summer I'll be snacking on the juicy purple berries as I walk the trail along Pilgrim Creek, coming home with my fingers stained wine red.

No comments:

Post a Comment