Thursday, October 25, 2012

on a golden pond




on a golden pond
pink and white water lilies
float among round green pads

How Jack planted water lilies in the pond across the road, I do not know. I imagine him diving bottom up like a duck and carefully tucking the roots into the soft mud. Every year the lilies send up pale umbilical stems from their muddy womb. When the ovoid buds breach the surface of the water, they unfold into a fanfare of pristine pink and white petals floating among round green pads. 
          Jack left us in June and now Toni lives alone by the little water lily pond. In September we had a memorial for Jack in the midst of an especially long Indian Summer, replete with a festival of gold and copper leaves. Two water lilies -- one white, one pink -- continued to bloom among leaves like verdigris medallions strewn on molten gold, a veritable Autumn Monet. 
          Today, a cold, wet, windy front moved in, dropping the temperatures from summer to winter in a few hours. The last two lily blossoms are gone, though the green pads still float among brown oak leaves on the rain-dented surface, maintaining a tenuous connection between the dark mud and the gray light.

2 comments:

  1. These are beautiful images, Care. And they remind me of the beauty that Jack left in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Care, would you ever send me a hires file of your beautiful photos so I could print them for my room? Perhaps in trade for a portrait I could draw or paint you of Jack? I'm a professional artist and you can contact me at Godslittleartist@live.com. You can "google" me, "Tierra Jackson Artist"…portraits are one of my specialities.

    Blessings,
    Tierra

    ReplyDelete