Wednesday, October 10, 2012

stretched out on the road


stretched out on the road, 
is that a rope or a snake
coiling into a knot?


It looks like a thick, braided rope, about a yard long, lying on the road ahead. But I have seen this illusion before, so I approach with caution. The "rope" begins to bend a little along its length and then a head rises up at one end.


However, I do not run away screaming, "Snake! Snake!" I have seen this kind of snake before, on this very road, so I recognize it as a nonvenomous milk snake, not its venomous look-alike, the coral snake.


As a child I learned the little rhyme used to tell friend from foe: "Red touch yellow, kills a fellow; red touch black, venom lack." This snake has a pattern of rust red bands bordered in black, alternating with yellowish white bands, so it's harmless. The darker coloration shows that it's an adult milk snake. It certainly doesn't look anything like the deadly coral snake, which sports a pattern of bright red rings bordered in yellow, alternating with black rings. 


The milk snake is usually nocturnal, so I'm surprised to see it out in broad daylight. Stretched out in the middle of the gravel road, its camouflage is useless, and I'm concerned that it might get run over. With a long stick I attempt to shoo it away, but instead of running away the snake rears up and strikes, missing me by a long shot. "Well, if that's the way you're going to be," I tell the snake, "I'll just go on my way." When I return from my walk, no sign of snake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment