Sunday, March 24, 2013

surprise spring snowstorm



surprise spring snowstorm --
the little black horse plods to the fence
for a handful of grass

Cocoa Bean, as I call the little black horse, has been alone in the little pasture next to the little red barn for several months. I found out that he lost his companions of last year, the big Clydesdale and two American Quarter horses, to a divorce, and that he belongs to a boy, though I've never seen the two together. From the looks of the burrs in Cocoa Bean's mane, it doesn't look like he gets much grooming. He spends his days, from early morning to late evening, grazing. But this surprise Spring snowstorm has covered the low grass, so when I appear with a handful of long grass from the other side of the fence, he plods through the snow to eat from my hand, clearly grateful for both the grass and the attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment