Sunday, March 17, 2013

yearling in the yard


yearling in the yard
munching last year's iris leaves
molting winter's coat

St. Patrick's Day, early morning. Right after I get in the truck, I look up to see a yearling high-stepping across the yard. The young one stops at the little border garden beside the driveway and begins pulling up and munching last year's Siberian Iris leaves. I thought deer were not supposed to like iris, but in late winter maybe anything tastes good. I'm charmed to find a deer this close, looking straight at me, but she neither sees nor smells me, dressed all in green, sitting behind glass just a few feet away. When I finally turn on the engine, the deer turns up her white tail and bolts, but only as far as the mother doe and yearling twin on the other side of the yard. The three deer watch me slowly drive away, then return to browsing. Minutes later I get another surprise: a pair of pheasants on either side of the highway who fly off in opposite directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment