Sunday, January 8, 2012

collector's auction





collector's auction --
treasures of a lifetime sold
to the highest bidder

"You have to have a number to bid," the lady sitting at the entrance to the convention hall says. "I just want to look around," I reply. I've done enough bidding to know I'd better not take a number.
          It's a two-day collector's auction, combining several estates. As I walk around the long tables spread with collectibles with my friend, we're both saying things like, "My father brought me a doll just like that from Switzerland," or "I remember when I won a set of yellow carnival glass plates," or "I've got an old glass milk bottle, but it has a little bulge on top for the cream," or "Whatever happened to my marble collection?" 
          And then of course I realize that this is probably what will happen to my accumulation of a lifetime. It will end up at an estate auction, passing into another person's life and then another and another, until what? Maybe a museum, or maybe the local dump, where some archaeologist in the far distant future will unearth the remains of ancient treasures and wonder, "What on earth did they use that thing for?"

No comments:

Post a Comment