Sunday, January 29, 2012

little horse alone






little horse alone
again, twin bull companions
vanished with the snow

The day before yesterday I stopped to visit the three companions in the little pasture on the outskirts of town. The miniature black horse was grazing by the fence while the twin bulls were lying in the grass nearby. When I approached the bulls got up and eyed me a little skittishly. I didn't have any apples, so I picked some long grass and held it over the wire fence. That got their attention and they all came right up to the barrier. One of the bulls stayed back a bit but the other one nosed and licked the grass with his big pink tongue. The horse seemed to know how to be hand fed and took several offerings. When the horse moved away, both of the bulls nuzzled their little friend.
          Yesterday the sun melted most of the snow in the field. I saw the little black horse all alone, no sign of the twin bulls. She was walking slowly with her head down, not held high as she used to do when she ambled through the pasture with her brown friends. Horses and cows are both herd animals, so I feel sorry for the little black horse, once again alone. Sorry, too, for the fate of the departed bulls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment