Sunday, January 22, 2012

in a snowy pasture



in a snowy pasture
little black horse, two brown bulls
graze on clumps of grass

As soon as it gets light, the three companions emerge from a little red shed to forage until dark on clumps of grass poking up through patches of snow in the dappled pasture. When I approach from the road, the little black horse, standing knee deep in the snow, looks up first. Then the twin bulls stop grazing and turn their heads in my direction. They've grown quite a bit since last summer. The miniature horse looks just the same except for a thicker coat. As the three continue to gaze at me, I can't tell whether they're just curious or fearful. After a long moment of examination, the black horse walks rather quickly over to one of the brown bulls and stops near his protective flank. I leave my offering of three red apples just inside the fence and return the way I came.

No comments:

Post a Comment