Monday, June 13, 2011

arching bands of gray


arching bands of gray 
clouds moving fast from the west,
first fat drops of rain

Walking to my car after lunch, I gasp when I look up at the darkening sky in the west. Two long narrow bands of gray clouds separated by a band of white sky are moving fast in my direction. I make a dash for the nearest hill to get a better view. The upper band is smooth, with delicate striations on the bottom, while the lower band is clotted and mottled. The whole front is moving quickly. From the lower cloud, a vertical veil of gray rain begins to descend and within minutes I feel the first fat drops of rain. Back in my car I sit out the deluge, the wind whipping the trees and searing slashes of lightning followed closely by booming thunder. It's tornado season in the Midwest, so it's both exciting and a little scary. But soon the crack and bang depart, leaving behind a long steady cold spring rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment